Skip to content
- Welcome to a new year! Welcome to a new year of Vision+Voice!
We will begin taking submissions of this year’s poems on October 10. Stay tuned!
- That’s it for now! Yes, V+V friends, that’s it for now. We aren’t taking any more submissions this year. But there’s good news!
First, we have published 520 submitted poems! 520 is awesome. If you converted these poems into string cheese, you could put cheese on 823 foot-long hot dogs. (This is based on the average length of the poems ...
- 2017 The Interviews This year I had the honor of being among some of the most talented young creative writers in Austin. Young people of all ages crowded a banquet room brimming with beautiful floral bouquets, dressed tables, and a mini red carpet just for them. Vision + Voice has had an impressive 4 year run and as the years go by the number of student poetry writers increases and amazes. I had a chat with several of these young writers and couldn’t help but fawn over the mix of adorable and well thought out interview answers, many of which impressed me.
- And the Winners Are…
WOW – So many great poems this year!
Poets, you have made selecting this year’s winners both difficult and enjoyable. Thank you for participating and congratulations on your achievement.
Here are the winners and honorable mention poems for the 2018 Vision+Voice Poetry Contest:
Winner Robot by Rowan F
Honorable Mention Whale by Alchemy D
Honorable Mention Feelings by Malik S
- Submissions for 2016-17 have closed! Thanks to all our poets, teachers, and parents! We appreciate your support.
We are hard at work processing submissions to get them published here on the Vision+Voice site. Check back, read some poems, and rate your favorites!
Attention Poets!!! Please check your poems to be sure they appear the way you intended. Let us know if you ...
- 2017 Award Reception Video Want to re-live the Vision+Voice Award Reception? Here’s your chance!
This is the live-stream video that ACC broadcast during the event on April 28. Please feel free to download and share this video.
Sorry, you’ll have to provide your own snacks to enjoy while viewing this. We couldn’t figure out a way to include a link to ...
- KLRU Taping
Hello, Vision+Voice Poets, Parents, and Teachers!
Congratulations to all the poets for having your work selected for recognition in the 2017 Vision+Voice Poetry Contest! This year, over 400 poems were submitted to the contest from students all over Austin, so you should be proud of this accomplishment. I am so excited to see all of ...
- V+V Deadline Extension Vision+Voice has extended the deadline for submissions until Jan. 27th! Get your poem on!
Vision+Voice offers K through 12 students a literacy experience that celebrates creativity and expression. It also fosters multiple venues for students to become published authors, with greater access to share their work with audiences. Students are free to determine the topic and type of poem to ...
- The night you’ve been waiting for Hello, Vision+Voice fans and families!
Here’s some information so you know what to expect at tonight’s Award Reception.
Our overall goal is to make the Vision+Voice honorees feel like rock-stars at the award reception. We want the students to see themselves as artists whose expression of self is important to the world.
We will have a great buffet ...
- 2017 Vision+Voice Poetry Videos Here are the KLRU videos of this year’s students reading their poems. Enjoy!
We are busy sorting through lots of great photos and video from the Award Reception and promise we’ll have them posted soon.
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to this website to be notified as soon as a new post appears!
- 2018 Vision+Voice Contest Dates! Hello, Poets!
We hope you’re enjoying your brand new school year, and thought you’d like to know some important dates for the upcoming Vision+Voice Poetry Contest.
Submissions for the 2018 contest are being accepted through February 19, 2018. Submit your poem today!
Winners announced: March 1, 2018
Award Ceremony: April 13, 2018
We can’t wait to read your new poems!
- Vision+Voice Award Reception Master of Ceremonies We are thrilled to announce that our Master of Ceremonies for this year’s Award Reception is Brad Richard, chair of the creative writing program at Lusher Charter School in New Orleans.
“As a poet, a teacher, and an advocate for young writers, I’m delighted to be part of this celebration of these poets,” says Richard. “There are few things ...
- Advice for Poets Hello Poets!
We hope you’re busy putting the finishing touches on your poetic masterpieces so you can submit your poems by the February 19 deadline!
Wondering what the judges will be looking for when they read your poem? Here are a few hints:
Imagery – images need not be only visual; any of the five senses (sight, hearing, touch, ...
- V+V POETS: KLRU Wants to Tape YOUR Poem! You are a superstar – come tape your poem!
We are very fortunate that KLRU (our local PBS station) has been a supporter of Vision+Voice since we started in 2013. They generously offer up their talent, time, and facilities to tape the winning and honorable mention poets reading their poems. The videos will be premiered at ...
- 2016-17 Winners! We are delighted to announce the winners of the 2016-17 Vision+Voice poetry contest! First choice poems will be paired with art by an ACC art student to create posters, and all the winning poems will be collected into the 2016-17 anthology.
Mark your calendars and plan to attend the Vision+Voice Award Reception:
Friday, April 28
ACC Eastview Campus, ...
- Vision+Voice Poetry Reading at Malvern Books Dec. 4 Vision+Voice is fortunate to have some great support from the Austin community, and one of our favorite community partners is Malvern Books. Not only do they display the most recent set of V+V posters in their store for the entire month of December, but they also host the annual Vision+Voice Poetry Reading every December. It’s ...